Friday, July 15th, 2016: TCBF Law School Scholarship Application Deadline
Tulsa County Bar Foundation Law School Scholarship
Law Students entering their first-year of school are encouraged to apply for the TCBF Law School Scholarship. Part-time students who are entering their first year are also eligible.
The Tulsa County Bar Foundation is authorized to fund law school scholarships of up to $2,500 per individual per year. The scholarships are intended for the benefit of law students in or from Tulsa County who are accepted to an ABA-accredited law school. The scholarships are offered and administered without discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender or disability.
While the scholarships are intended for the benefit of law students from Tulsa County, the Foundation recognizes that a student from Tulsa County may attend a law school outside Tulsa County and that students from other locations may attend law school in Tulsa County. The test for eligibility for consideration for a Foundation scholarship is therefore whether the student has “a significant connection” to Tulsa County in the judgment of the Foundation’s Scholarship Committee.
An award made to a first year student may be renewed in each of the following years in law school. The total funding offered to any student shall not exceed three times the amount of his or her first scholarship, and the distribution of such funding shall be over a time period not exceeding four years. Although each recipient will need to re-apply for the scholarship each year, the expectation is that the scholarship will be renewed each year if satisfactory academic performance has been achieved, the student is otherwise eligible, and funding is available.
In selecting scholarship recipients, the Foundation will consider the applicant’s connection with Tulsa County; financial need; academic record; extra-curricular record and record of leadership and initiative; commitment to the study and practice or teaching of law; character; and work and life experience. Financial information for the applicant’s household and that of the applicant’s parents is necessary to evaluate financial need. Recipients will be selected by members of the Scholarship Committee of the Foundation. The decisions of the Committee are final.
Requirements for Eligibility
To be eligible to receive a Foundation scholarship, an applicant must meet all of the following requirements:
- The applicant must be an entering first-year law student in the 2016 academic year. Students who have completed one or more semesters of law school are not eligible. Applicants who are part-time law students also must be starting law school in the 2016 academic year to be eligible.
- At the time of submission of the application, the applicant must have achieved undergraduate grades in the top 50% of the applicant’s college undergraduate class and have LSAT scores in the top 50% of the LSAT testing pool.
- The applicant must be a citizen of the United States and have a significant connection to Tulsa County. In determining this factor the Scholarship Committee will weigh past or current residency in Tulsa County, attendance at Tulsa County schools, intention to attend law school in Tulsa County, significant business or family connections in Tulsa County, or some combination of the above.
- Immediate family members of any member of the Board of the Foundation (including executive director) or of the Scholarship Committee are not eligible to receive a scholarship.
Before receiving scholarship funds, recipients will be required to demonstrate admission to and plans to enroll in an ABA-accredited law school. Students who leave law school after accepting scholarship funds will be required to return all or a proportional amount of scholarship funds received during that academic year.
A Completed Application Includes
- A completed application form, signed and dated by the applicant.
- Copies of federal income tax forms for applicant and parents.
- A personal statement.
- At least two letters of recommendation.
- A copy of the applicant’s undergraduate transcript.
Applications must be postmarked no later than July 15, 2016, and should be submitted to:
Tulsa County Bar Foundation
1446 S Boston Ave
Tulsa, OK 74119
If you have any questions about the application,
Please contact Barbara J. Eden, Scholarship Committee Chair, at (918) 699-4082.